The Health Benefits of Beets
Approximately 4,000 years ago in the Mediterranean region (or so it’s been said), the beetroot was cultivated and has since become a go-to vegetable for a wide variety of health, beauty and energy benefits. Versatile and delicious, beets can be consumed raw, shredded, boiled, roasted, pickled, and as a juice, soup or salad. Incorporating them into your diet will leave your body feeling refreshed and cleansed. Give it a try!
Beets are loaded with tons of nutrients and contain antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Besides potassium, magnesium, iron and fiber, they include betaine, a nutrient that relaxes the mind, creates a sense of well-being, and most importantly, fights cardiovascular diseases. In addition, beets are a good source of folate, a B vitamin that strengthens the neural tube, which in turn reduces the risk of defects in babies during pregnancy.
Roasted beets with feta cheese
- 3 large or 4 medium beets
- 1 tablespoon, plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Trim and wash the beets. Place them on a large piece of aluminum foil, drizzle them with 1 tsp. of oil, wrap them up and place the foil packet on a baking sheet. Bake until they’re tender when pierced with a fork, 30 to 45 minutes. Let them sit until they’re cool enough to handle, about 20 minutes.
- Peel the beets and cut them into half-inch slices or cubes. In a medium bowl, whisk the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil, vinegar and salt. Toss the beets in dressing.
- Top with crumbled feta. Serve immediately.
Would you like to enhance your natural good looks? Beets have many benefits in the beauty department, for example, they treat acne with the help of trusty anti-inflammatory agents. Beets also maintain the thickness of hair by increasing the blood circulation of the scalp, as well as the strength and elasticity of the skin through a compound called lycopene, which helps minimize fine lines and wrinkles. If you don’t mind drinking raw beetroot juice, you can use this vegetable to detoxify the body, as it eliminates harmful toxins, purifies the blood and promotes naturally glowing skin.
Beetroot juice with cucumber and pineapple
- 1 small beetroot
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1 cup of pineapple chunks
- Remove the top of the beetroot and scrub using water and a stiff vegetable brush to eliminate any dirt.
- Peel or wash the cucumber.
- Slice the pineapple and remove its tough skin.
- Cut the fruit and vegetables to fit your juicer.
- Juice and serve.
Who knew the answer to feeling more energized was in the vegetable section of your supermarket? High in good carbohydrates, beets are considered a body fuel as it raises energy levels, boosts stamina and improves blood flow. In fact, a former study had tested the consumption of both beetroot and cranberries before a run and found that the beetroot boosted the participants’ performance at a higher rate.
Beetroot juice with carrot and orange
- 1 beetroot
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 oranges
- Process all ingredients in a juicer.
- Stir, serve and enjoy.
How do you like to eat your beets? Share your recipes here!