Let’s welcome back Kath Younger of Kath Eats Real Food! She’s a registered dietitian and full-time blogger based out of Charlottesville, Virginia. When she’s not spending time with her husband, Matt, and her son, Mazen, she’s writing information-packed posts that focus on nutrition, recipes, and a healthy lifestyle. The last time she was with us, we shared her tips for smart snacking! Today, it’s all about her reasons to drink more tea in honor of National Hot Tea Day, which took place just this January. So, let’s get started!
10 Reasons to Drink More Tea
Today is the first-ever National Hot Tea Day! The Tea Council of the USA has named January 12 as the day where tea lovers around the country celebrate the joy of hot tea drinking. It’s a time to relax and enjoy the wonderful health benefits of this amazing beverage. Below are 10 reasons why we all should be drinking more tea!
- Hydration. Tea is my #1 source of hydration in the winter. I need to warm up all day long! Tea counts toward your hydration tally too. Although caffeine-free teas are best, caffeinated ones are fine too – the diuretic effect of caffeine does not offset hydration.
- Tea is a great palate cleanser. When I’m sweating hard at soccer or hot yoga, water tastes delicious to me, but most of the time I like to have a little flavor in my liquids. Tea acts as a great palate cleanser, and there are so many varieties that you can find one for every time of day: energizing at breakfast, ginger after lunch, and minty with honey after dinner.
- Relative to other hot beverages, tea is low in caffeine and calories. Drink without worrying about getting the jitters!
- There’s a tea for everyone. I’m not a huge fan of earthy or bitter green teas, but I love anything with mint! I also love black teas with flavors. The Moroccan Mint at Tea Bazaar and the Roasted Almond at Capital Teas are my very favorites! I’ve tried a lot of new teas this year and found quite a few that I love. Not all teas are “tea” – herbal teas are often just blends of herbs you can steep, but I have come to really like herbals!
- Going out for tea has the opposite effect as going out for alcohol, so meet your friends for a tea date instead! Instead of getting dehydrated, consuming lots of calories and feeling fuzzy minded, tea hydrates, is calorie free, and promotes deep, clear-headed conversation!
- Easy. Tea is a super simple and easy beverage to make and take with you anywhere on the go. I often tuck a tea bag into my pocket and ask for hot water (which is free) when I’m out.
- Disease prevention. According to the book Super Foods Health Style by Steven Pratt, M.D., research has demonstrated that regular tea consumption is associated with: lower blood pressure, heart health, eye health, healthy inflammation response, healthy immune response, and healthy blood sugar levels.
- Antioxidant-rich immune system booster! Various herbal and green teas are loaded in health promoting compounds called polyphenols, which are believed to give certain tea their immune-boosting and modulating effects. One study suggested that catechins (a type of polyphenol) protect against the influenza virus! (source)
- Ritual – morning, reading, relaxation and stress relief. Promotes healthy routines and positive lifestyle patterns.
- Warm you up on cold days! Hot tea is a great way to stay warm during those cold winter months.
On behalf of Kath Younger, we at HealingRadius are interested to hear your favorite teas and the reasons for drinking them! And as always, here’s to a healthy and holistic lifestyle. Cheers!