Finding just the right yoga class can be hard! You need a teacher you connect with as well as a practice that fills your physical and spiritual needs to really benefit from a yoga class. That’s why HealingRadius is here to help you find the absolute perfect class for you!
What Are You Looking For?
The first thing you’ll need to ask yourself is what you’re looking for in a yoga class. Are you heading to yoga class to de-stress and unwind or are you looking for more of a workout and cardio boost? Are you into something more spiritual or are you just interested in the physical benefits? Are you looking to build strength, flexibility, or both?
Once you’ve figured out what you’re looking for in a yoga class, read up on the different types of yoga to see what class would be the best fit for you.
Different Types of Yoga
Yoga’s been around for more than 5000 years so it’s no surprise there is a lot of variation today in how the practice is taught. Typically, though, different classes will fall into one of the following six styles of yoga:
- Hatha Yoga
- Includes a set of asanas, or postures, designed to open channels of the body so energy can flow with ease
- Includes sequencing that aligns the muscles, bones, and skin
- Aims to create balance and bring attention to the breath to help calm the mind through slower flows matching breath and movement
- Vinyasa Yoga
- Consists of various poses designed to move students through the power of inhaling and exhaling
- Students are encouraged to coordinate movement so that one breath (an inhale or exhale) matches one posture
- Hot Yoga
- May also be referred to as Bikram yoga
- The temperature in the practice space is increased to around 105 degrees to help flush toxins through perspiration
- Aims to increase overall health with enhanced flexibility and deep stretching to prevent injury
- Ashtanga Yoga
- A vigorous, quick-paced style of practice
- Involves a set sequence of poses students must follow each time; with more practice, students progress through more rigorous sequences
- Iyengar Yoga
- A style of Hatha yoga that incorporates different props to be utilized in various poses
- Props can include straps, blankets, pillows, chairs, and bolsters
- Aims to increase flexibility, strength, balance, and self-awareness to create a calm mind and greater concentration
- Restorative Yoga
- May also be referred to as Yin yoga
- Involves simple poses held longer to achieve a deep level of relaxation and calm the entire body
- A more therapeutic experience that aims to cultivate body awareness, promote mindfulness, and help embrace a slower paced lifestyle
Using HealingRadius to Find the Perfect Yoga Class
Once you know what type of yoga you’re looking for, head on over to the HealingRadius homepage (or download the app on your phone!) and enter the type of yoga you’re looking for under the “Search by Therapy” option. Your city should auto-fill and you’ll be able to search for those types of yoga classes at nearby studios.
When your list of yoga studios pops up, you’ll be able to see ratings and reviews left by current students so you can get an idea of what each teacher offers. You can also sign up for classes and even pay class fees right from your HealingRadius account!
Create an account today to see how HealingRadius can help you find the perfect yoga class!